This assignment is made up of three parts:
- A fifteen-minute interview with someone from a vocational sector of possible interest to you. (E.g. they might work or have worked in the field of international development, business, or social enterprise.) If you wish to explore another element of the career sphere (e.g. recruitment processes, workplace interpersonal relations etc.) please propose this to your tutor or to the course coordinator. Or you can review of a careers, or work, or other relevant-to-this-course audio podcast series. If you choose a podcast review, please let your tutor know which podcast you are choosing and note why it is relevant.
- You will complete your interview prior to Week 11 of semester, or have assembled full notes or a draft of your podcast review before your tutorial in Week 11.
- A workshopping of your interview/review will take place in the tutorial of Week 11 of semester with a view to shaping into an article.
- An article of 900 words. This is detailed below.
(Fictional) Scenario: The RMIT Careers Department are going into partnership with LinkedIn to establish a new site within LinkedIn that is intended to provide advice and guidance to students who are thinking about their career trajectories (and other elements of the career sphere). They have heard that students taking ‘Working in Global Contexts’ cover subject matter of direct relevance to this site andconduct an interview with someone from vocational destinations of interest to many students.
You have been asked to prepare an article for this new sub-website within LinkedIn, which is to be called LinkedIn toYourCareer.
The objective of the article is to use your article to inform current university students about an aspect of the work and careers world ahead of them.
What aspect of this you choose will depend upon your interests as well as the material you gathered during your interview. It could, for example, focus on a particular career path or area of work; on an aspect of the job acquisition process; or an aspect of the contemporary work environment.
The article must have the following characteristics:
- It must conform to the style and tone of articles in LinkedIn.
- It must draw on between 3 and 7 quotations from your ‘industry interview’ or from the podcast series. These quotations should not be more than 35% of the word count.
- It must make substantive reference to at least three readings from the course.
- It should take as its ‘imagined reader’ a university student doing a degree in roughly the same field as yourself.
The career that was chosen to be focused on is a business support coordinator and an interview was done and summary of interview :
I have interviewed Vivian Nguyen she works as a business support Coordinator at ARL Collect , she is a third-year business and a media communication student majoring in international business and specialising in public relations. Her main responsibilities as a business support coordinator are to :
– Maintain projects, proposals, business development, safety, and quality systems.
– Facilitate verbal communication with clients and attend to their enquiries in order to maintain and monitor accounts accordingly.
– Maintain an effective and thorough follow up programme on all files to ensure all actions are recorded so that the customer can be accurately advised by any contact centre staff member.
– Recommend legal action and organise field call services necessary to support initial collection activity with intention of resolving the file.
– Work closely and communicate effectively with support staff and other business divisions so that important information can be shared and gained to uphold good customer relations.
After the interview I have gained several insights regarding being a business support coordinator from my interview with Vivian , one of the insight is that this job mainly depends on good communication skills, being confident and patient , I have gained full understanding regarding this position and what it takes to be successful in this job and how to be able to develop and grow to reach different goals. Another insight that I have gained is that this job makes you gain several skills it gives you experience in making customer relationship and account management. After the interview I got a full understanding of the job and was aware of all duties and responsibilities required . The article must explain to students how they can find a job in business support coordinating, how to operate in this job and what kills they need to be efficient and productive. The article will aim to inform university students about the aspect of working in such field , careers within this field and give them guidance on how to work and be successful in being a business support coordinator by explaining and listing all skills and tasks required to enter and work effectively in this field.