LO 1: Describe and discuss concepts and
principals of systems analysis and design.
LO 2: Examine the stages of the systems
development life cycle.
LO 3: Apply basic diagrammatic modelling
tools to systems analysis and design.
LO 4: Use specifications such as user
interfaces, databases, and systems
interfaces to design systems to meet
specific business/project purposes.
In this assessment, students must work in a group to prepare a case study analysis of a
systems development project.
You are required to form groups of Three to Four (3 to 4) students.
Your group is required to research and analyse a real life situation and prepare
a full analysis of a systems development project. Feel free to discuss your real
life situation project with your lecturer before engaging in any work. Suggested
You may use www.creately.com, www.diagrams.net, MS Word, Visio or any other
modeling tool to create diagrams.
Your systems analysis and design project should include the following:
• Executive summary (max. 1/2 page). 2.5 Marks
• Introduction including description of the business, problem/opportunity identified
and goal and objectives of this project (max. 1 pages). 2 Marks
• Data gathering methodology and results (max. 1 pages). 2.5 Marks
• Existing system including current system overview, FDD, DFD, and Data
Dictionary. 6 Marks
• Proposed system including system overview, system requirements checklist,
DFD, Data Dictionary, Object relationship diagram, Use Cases, Class Diagram,
and Sequence Diagrams. 12 Marks
• Conclusions and recommendations (max. 1/2 page). 2.5 Marks
• Group reflection on Assessment 3 (max. 1/2 page). 2.5 Marks
Suggested topics (list is not restricted):
• Hotel Booking System
• Library Management System
• Car Rentals System
• Online enrolment System